What to Do When You Lose Your Passport in the United States
USINFO | 2013-09-25 09:47

Losing a passport can be a stressful situation, especially if you have scheduled international travel. If you lose your passport in the United States, you must report the loss to the State Department immediately to prevent the fraudulent use of your passport and to start the process of obtaining a replacement.
Verify that your passport is lost and not merely misplaced. Search your home, luggage, purses and anywhere where your passport may have been stored. Ask your travel partners and anyone who lives with you if they have knowledge of your passport’s location.

Report the loss of your passport to the State Department at 1-877-487-2778. Once you report your passport lost or stolen, your passport is no longer valid for travel and cannot be revalidated. If you recover your passport after it has been reported, send it to the State Department at:
U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036
(Lost or Stolen Passport Information)
Replacement Forms
To obtain a replacement for your lost passport in the United States, you must fill out forms DS-11 and DS-64. Form DS-11 is the application form for a passport and form DS-64 is a statement of loss form. (Lost or Stolen Passport Information)
You must submit your completed forms and required documentation in person at a passport acceptance facility. You will need to show proof of identity, such as your driver’s license or other government-issued photo identification, sign your application forms in person and pay application fees. Obtaining a passport by mail is not an available option when you lose your passport in the United States.
As of June 2009, the total fee to replace a lost passport for an adult is $100 for a passport book. You can also request expedited service that costs an additional $60, for a total cost of $160. In addition, you can also request that your replacement passport be sent via overnight mail for a cost of $14.85.
To prevent future losses of your passport, always keep your passport in a secured area. Also, keep a copy of the picture page of your passport in a location away from your passport. This page can be used to help expedite passport replacement if necessary. When traveling abroad, keep one photocopy of your passport picture page in your luggage and leave one with a non-traveling acquaintance.
©2012-2014 Bywoon | Bywoon